Monday, February 06, 2006

And now for something completely different...

No more kvetching about the whole going home/not going home/damn them fiasco. Back to what truly matters in life: KNITTING! I'm getting ready for the 2006 knitting olympics. My yarn is bought (well, um, mostly...), my swatch is knitted, my gauge is gotten, let the ceremonies begin! Except that before the torch is lit on, geez, Friday? I need to finish a few things (imagine pix inserted here - I'm too lazy to find the camera & upload the pix):

- dh's 2nd work sock. Yes, that one. The one from the pair I was knitting him for Christmas. Christmas 2005. Oops. In my defense, I would have made it if
a) I had not decided at the last minute that my mil needed PF legwarmers before Christmas
b) I had not waited until Thanksgiving to choose to knit almost everything on my list from my handspun - handspun, naturally, that was still for the most part roving, and in a couple particularly bad cases, theoretical roving (as in, I hadn't chosen & purchased it yet).
- my 2nd log cabin sock from _HH_. Having promised dh I would finish his sock first, I cannot possibly justify knitting this one, even though it's loads more fun than his sock, and way faster to knit too (bulky weight yarn on 6s vs. fingering weight on 1s - oy!) And since I'm a medievalist, my word is my bond, etc. etc. So no more cabled merino/angora yumminess for me until the drudgery is over. :(
- my 2nd energized singles handspun and knitted directly from the spindle sock, using some gorgeous "leaf peepers" merino/tencel roving. Nope, not sss - for the reason this sock is mateless, see above re the lcs.
- a pair of longies for my ds. Or possibly 2. See, I went to the lys to buy some yarn with which to knit a pair of longies to match the sweater I recently finished for Ian (using some yummy Elsebeth Lavold silky tweed yarn). I choose a skein of Cascade Ecological in a nice milk chocolate color, got home, unskeined it, put it on my swift, wound about an ounce of it onto my noste - and then happened to glance over at my sock yarn stash, where a skein of Lorna's Laces shepherd sock yarn in the "safari" colorway was making eyes at me. So I abandoned the Cascade for the LL and wound it into a ball, then knit a gauge swatch. I decided I liked the way it knits up in reverse stockinette better than stockinette, and got as far in this project as printing out the ww perfection pants pattern and doing the math for the gauge, when the _Second Treasury of Magical Knitting_ book that I purchased at the same time as the Cascade lured me away from my knitting and forced me to practice the moebius cast-on. And then to knit a test round. And then to knit myself a short moebius scarf using some yummy Mountain Colors weaver's quarters in the "redtail hawk" colorway. But I actually finished this scarf, so it's not a UFO. Yay!
- and then, of course, there's the stranded-colorwork sweater for myself which I cast on weeks ago, and am working on a row or two at a time, and which, with any luck, I'll have finished in time for next winter. Or the winter after that.

Pix of everything to come when I have the time/have found the camera/am not having to contend with a feral toddler who believes everything should either be fed to the cat, or poured on top of the cat/feel like it.

1 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hubby and I were watching The Flying Circus last night. Your title made me blurt out a laugh. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home